Arctic Response provides Class 5P (Stage 2 GDL) training to residents of Northwest Territories and Nunavut. This program prepares students to successfully complete both the written and practical Department of Transportation Class 5 Drivers exams.
Class 5 training varies in length according to the number of candidates per class. The program requires approximately 1 day of classroom training to review for the written DOT exam. Each student also receives approximately 10 hours of practical training one-on-one with the instructor.
The majority of Class 5P driver training programs delivered by Arctic Response are coordinated and delivered at the community level. Arctic Response will liaise with DOT officials to coordinate both written and practical license testing immediately after training to maximize the students success rates.
Unless discontinued, the DOT road test is a minimum of 30 minutes long to cover all mandatory testing components. Due to limited roadway infrastructure, complete road testing smaller communities is not possible. Therefore, a restriction for driving only in the community may be placed on the successful graduates license. Where desired, Arctic Response can deliver the majority of Class 5 training in the smaller client communities, then coordinate for a final phase of training and testing in the closest suitable community so the student may achieve a full Class 5P license.
To become a Stage 2 GDL probationary driver:
• Be 16 years of age or older.
• Have completed the 12-month Learner Stage
• Pass the standard Northwest Territories Class 5 road test.
Probationary driver conditions:
• Must spend a minimum of one year as a probationary driver.
• Have no more than one passenger in the front seat and no more passengers than seat belts in the vehicle.
• After accumulating 6 or more demerit points, the Registrar shall suspend the driver’s licence.
• Must have a zero alcohol level while driving.
• Cannot upgrade to a commercial licence (Classes 1, 2, 3 or 4) before earning a full Class 5 (non-GDL license).
• Cannot serve as an accompanying driver to a Class 7 learner.
Duration: 1 to 2 days of Classroom and 10 hours per student practical driving